Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm in it for the Fun

My "career" in ranking sports teams began as a teenager in the '70's. I was a fan of the Top Twenty for college but there didn't seem to be anything for the NFL. So I began to rank the NFL teams which later led to ranking college teams. Then I discovered the Internet. There was David Wilson who kept a directory of college football rankings which mesmerized me and who also gave that madman ranking king Kenneth Massey a place to start. I just had to get in on the fun. My first success was to get a column on Kenneth's Ranking Comparison Page. Next was to be listed on David's directory. The final accomplishment (and the only real thing that remained unless I've missed something) was to be included in Todd Beck's Prediction Tracker. But that wasn't enough. Ranking teams was a great hobby but I liked to see how others ranked the same teams. David let me get involved in maintaining his college football directory and even expanding it. This season I hope to see it in its greatest form yet and actually have a couple of other raters who are interested in maintaining certain pages. I'm out of control. There's just too much fun, now. By the way, listen to my voice of experience. I've seen dozens or possibly hundreds who thought they were going to have an ongoing rating system who have come and gone. Do not suppose you are going to make money by jumping on the bandwagon. The attitude to get involved in rating teams is as a hobby. Very few make money but a lot of us are perpetually addicted to what we are doing. If you survive, that's what you have to be. If you do give it a shot, though, good luck. We welcome your opinion.

No comments: