Saturday, May 29, 2010

My View on Conferences

I know there is the possibility that the superconferences are being built up to get out from under NCAA rule, but I am a football fan. The whole concept of having conferences is so that all the teams therein can play each other to see which team is best. I don't like having large conferences where they can't. Conferences are getting ridiculously large. Some of them have divided into two conferences and take the winner of each division to a conference championship game. However, there are still circumstances in which one team may be chosen over another team even though the two teams never played each other. That is stupid. In my opinion all the FBS teams should be divided up by area into sixteen conferences. All the teams in the conferences should play each other. All the winners would play by area until only the national champion is left standing. Lots of inter-conference games would also be played for entertainment but would obviously have no bearing on the sixteen-team playoff. One season I remember in the NFL the Rams won the conference over the 49ers even though the 49ers won more games within the conference. That's stupid, too. Am I asking too much? Think of all the travel miles my suggestion would save. I would still want to see games like USC-Notre Dame and this wouldn't interfere with the arrangement. What do you think?

No comments: